This delightful plant-based dish is the perfect comfort food for those cool nights in the fall and winter. I recently made this for a group of people and they all loved it!
- 2 batches of Easy Vegan Pie Crust* (see below)
For the “Sauce”:
- 2 cups Unsweetened Non-dairy Milk
- 2 tbsp Nutritional Yeast
- ¼ cup Chickpea Flour*
- 1 tsp Salt, plus more to taste
For the Filling:
- 1 ½ cup Cooked Chickpeas
- ½ Yellow Onion, diced
- 2 small ribs of Celery, chopped
- ½ cup Carrots, diced
- ⅔ cup Yellow Potatoes
- ⅔ cup Frozen Peas
- 1 tsp Fresh Thyme, chopped
- ½ tsp Smoked Paprika
- ¼ tsp Black Pepper, plus more to taste
- Prepare the “Sauce”: Combine all ingredients in a small pot and whisk to combine. Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 5 minutes, whisking occasionally. Set the sauce aside while you prep the filling; it will thicken slightly.
- Cook the Filling: While you prep the filling, preheat the oven to 425F. Add a splash of water or oil to a large nonstick pot over medium heat. Sauté the Onion, Celery, and Carrot until translucent, then add the spices and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes. Add the potatoes to the pot along with ¼ cup of water, then cover and let steam for 5 minutes. Uncover, then stir in the Chickpeas, Peas, and thickened Sauce until well-combined.
- Assemble the Pie: Pour the Chickpea & Veggie filling into a 9″ pie tin “lined” with a pre-baked Pie Crust, then cover with the additional unbaked pie crust. Use a fork or your fingers to “pinch” the top crust layer with the bottom layer, then cover the edges of the Pie Crust with tin foil (see notes). Bake at 425F for 15 minutes, then remove the foil and cook for an additional 10-12 minutes.
- Let the Pie sit for 5 minutes, then slice and serve as desired. Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 7 days
Recipe courtesy of From My Bowl